Cherishing every little personality

Based in West Wiltshire, a few miles away from Bath, Metallica Hamstery primarily specialises in the Normal (Agouti) Chinese.

How the bin cages turned out

It took us a couple of hours to make the new bin cages this time around as we decided that as we were planning on stacking the bins when we got our next hamster, we would mesh the sides for ventilation and whilst we were meshing the roof too, that would be primarily for hanging toys off of.
I’m not all that great with DIY so I asked my dad (Grandpa Fluffagrams) to help out. After all, he’d worked in engineering for thirty years so he knew a thing or two.

All measured up!
All measured up!

As we were going to be making more permanant changes to the box, we had to do some measuring up to make sure that it would be big enough for May’s hammock. After all, she loves that hammock and it would be mean to take it off of her just because it wouldn’t fit. We actually used a panel that came off of an old broken cage to measure it up.

Cutting the mesh
Cutting the mesh

Cutting the mesh was a lot easier with shears rather than wire cutters, particularly as one of the mesh panels was quite big. Had I have been doing this on my own, I probably wouldn’t have thought to have a look to see if there was a tool that would make the job easier. Once we’d cut the mesh, we folded over the edges so that there wouldn’t be anything sharp to catch fingers on when moving or cleaning the cage. Thankfully as we were fastening them to the outside of the cage, we didn’t have to worry about little hamsters getting injured on the sharp edges.

Cutting the holes.
Cutting the holes.

I didn’t trust myself with the soldering iron as I am terribly clumsy so Grandpa Fluffagrams very kindly took care of that side of things for me. It was the most time consuming part of the build and if it’s rushed then you run the risk of cracking the plastic. Once that was done, the edges of the holes were craped out with a burr to remove any lumpy bits that a hamster might decide to chew. The mesh was then attached using cable ties and I have to admit, I was impressed with how it was looking.

Version 2
All finished and ready for a clean!

Now it was ready, it made sense to move May into her new home so after a clean, I moved her into a temporary tank whilst I added the substrate from her old cage. She can be a little bit nervous with change so I thought that this was important so that she had some familiarity.

Version 2
The substrate is in!

As tempting as it was to add new toys for a bit of variety, I felt that it was important to keep the same cage layout so I took the toys out of May’s old cage and put them in the new one in exactly the same places for her.

All furnished!
All furnished!

We were very pleased with the end result so it was finally time to move it’s new resident in and she took to it quite well. She had a little explore, dug a few tunnels and then thought that after all of that excitement she deserved a treat.

This hole is perfect for treats!
This hole is perfect for treats!

 

Share this post

Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest
Share on print
Share on email

Made with ❤ by Picklemouse Pet Services